A pair of boots on the last: The first one fought back so hard that I had to take several breaks between attempts while I gave myself “pep talks” that mostly consisted of me telling myself that I sucked and no longer deserved to call myself a boot maker. The second one jumped right onto the last and is sitting there looking smug.
I put these red boots on the lasts this morning.
Today I’m happy for side seams that are done, and side seams that match.
Usually I match the side welt (the leather strip going down the side of the boot) to the vamp leather. If I can’t match the vamp leather exactly I go the opposite way and match the boot top leather. I prefer a deliberate contrast to an almost-match.
The inside of the boots will be pretty too.
I finished another pair of boot tops today and now I can begin putting boots together. The pulls aren’t finished because I just glued them to the lining a few minutes ago. The fastest way to make your machine grumpy is to try sewing through wet glue.