New (to me) sewing machine!

I finally got to try out this little beauty today. I think we’re going to get along very well!

IMG_2627

About customboots

I'm a custom cowboy boot maker. I own a business, Sorrell Custom Boots, and I create bespoke cowboy boots using vintage machinery and hand tools. I also own www.sorrellnotionsandfindings.com, a company that specializes in tools, supplies, and leather for the boot and shoe making trade.
This entry was posted in boot maker, Cowboy Boots and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to New (to me) sewing machine!

1. georgiabrickoven says:

So cute! Your “new” machine looks like a cousin to my little Singer Featherweight. I use mine for quilting, and even though it’s older than I am, it’s still going strong. What model is your Machine?
    Chris

• customboots says:

Chris,
      Mine is a 110W124. I’ve stitched for years on a 110W125 but this one was so beautiful I couldn’t pass on it. My 125 was very worn and loose in the shuttle area.

Lisa

2. So, how are you getting along with your replacement machine? How close does it “feel” to the old one that you got so good with? Is there much of a difference between machines?

I don’t make boots, but I enjoy sewing vinyl with a Singer 31-15 treadle outfitted with a roller foot using T90 threads top and bottom. My sewing is just play, and I’m trying to learn how to place stitches accurately in close quarters with it.

CD in Oklahoma

• customboots says:

The “new” machine is lovely. I hadn’t realized how much time I was spending fighting with the old machine until I switched.

You might think about smaller thread, which would allow you to use a smaller needle. I would guess you’re using about a size 16 needle and you can’t get very close when your needle is that big.

3. Phil Esgate says:

Good Morning Lisa,
    After looking through my entire collection of sewing machines (I really should catalogue them), I have found that I do have a Singer 110W124, and I don’t know anyone else other than you who has one. So I’ve started to strip it completely ready for a complete rebuild and put it back into use… speak soon.. Phil

4. Danny says:

Dear Lisa & Phil E., and everyone else on the forum:
    Hello my name is Danny , Im from Nyc\ PA area
    And I am about to purchase a used 110w124.. Kinda heavy use (from look of paint where fabric would be pulled thru .But its got the table and motor. Im looking to do small projects w zippers.
    But possibly up to 1/4″ of leather.
    The wheel feed has me worried, that I wont be able to get longer stiches than 6 per inch. Your thoughts..
    I also have a 29-1, 29k51 , 111w135.

• customboots says:

Dale,
      I apologize for being so slow to see your post and respond.
      The 110W124 has gears that determine the stitch length. The wheel feed does not affect how long your stitches can or will be, but which gears are in the machine will determine that. There are three separate sets of gears, so you would have three stitch length options. Whichever gears are in the machine will determine which stitch lengths you can choose.